Spawn Event THIS SUNDAY: Farms and Embassies (discussions)

Hey all,

Since we are going ahead with my proposal, I’m making this thread now so I can give everyone a chance to give inputs, criticisms, and concerns. I’ll keep it short and sweet.

When: This Sunday, December 14th. 12pm eastern US (6pm central europe)

Where: West side of spawn!

The plan follows this diagram:

1. To create more space for embassies, we will push the current farm back to allow a second row of embassy plots on the northern side of the road.

2. We will lift the terrain to street level to give the farm the plantation look the original design was supposed to be. That means we need dirt donations from people by Sunday!

3. Plantation house will be designed by aljady, who has built the outer shell. She will oversee construction, while the community will build the interior and provide tweaks once the main shell is finished.

4. Main entrance will be from the south, with a Podzol path leading in. Three smaller entrances East, West, and north. A custom fence will surround the farm rather than wooden fences. I dont have a pic on hand, i’ll post tomorrow morning and get your thoughts!

5)The intersection of the west road and the road leading to the farms will be made into a circular plaza. In the middle a fountain or better yet a Statue of some sort. Would be good to have ppl skilled in 3D art to help, looking for volunteers!

1. The interesection will have a road leading south to the upcoming harbor, and north to the farm

2. The fields with food shouldnt have to be so big, it’s unnecessary to have massive fields. We should go for aesthetics over function since this is spawn, and things should look nice.

3. We also dont need Cacti and netherwarts, they are both out of place and should be built in their corresponding biomes. They stand out for all the wrong reasons.

4. There is space available north west of the area, if we want animal farms they can be place in a secondary compound there. It would be far enough from spawn to not contribute to lag, but that in my opinion is not a priority.

5. We expand the west road and make the path leading up to the area more visible and grander. Right now the west side is kind of hidden.

6. We put the subway tracks underground. They go underground just before the bridge so why not have it underground the whole way there? The subway isnt finished, is not being utilized, and would only serve to obstruct the top parts of the embassies. We keep it but put it underground.

Embassies:

The main thing built on Sunday will be the farms and prepping the space for embassies. While the district is a community area, the builds will be built by individual owners of towns, and therefore does not need community involvement. Every owner of an embassy should have the right to choose who gets to help or not. If they want to do it alone, thats their right. This is a community driven area, not community builds.

That being said, embassies should

1. Be reserved for towns, not individuals. A town should have a minimum of two active players

2. Show genuine interest in wanting more players. Clear application process and requirements should be listed at the embassy, as well as a description of your town and what it’s for.

3. Explain the themes and guidelines in detail

4. List current members

5. Explain how to arrive in case tourists want to visit

6. Be a high quality build which reflects your town

7. But most importantly, Be creative and fun!

Plot Size to be discussed here!

I also believe that people’s involvement in spawn clearing, spawn builds, and mine filling should be taken into account when assigning spots. People who helped more and have been selfless to the community should get priority. This last part is up to the admins however.

I think it’s a lot of unnecessary work to destroy the current farms, raise the entire area, destroy the nice wall that was already built, and redo the entire area. Sure, tweak the existing stuff, but you really don’t need to destroy all the work…

I’d like to give an input about this:

I do agree that the farms are way bigger than we need them to be. Community are going to use them, yes, but it’s not easy to navigate through the farms. It’s also way too overly abundant. I think smaller farms with more compact design would do. Therefore, I like the proposal by Rhalyon to make embassies on both sides of the road.

However, I do not want my railway underground. It is completed from the hub (Arcane Central) to the stop just past the bridge. It had to go underground in order to cross the river via the bridge. As DClem said, it does symbolizes the west. Not only that, it also symbolizes the real city I live in and my early days on Arcane. If it’s gotta go down, please, do NOT put it underground. I made it so people can take the railway for sightseeing, so the least you can do is put it on the street level.

I would have brought up the southern railway, but it was just too crowded already that the raised rail wouldn’t fit the theme at all. Please keep the west one up. It won’t be a huge deal.

To tell the truth, I visioned the west as a modern city. But I gave up on that idea because people are just focused on medieval looking things.

Expanding the road does sound like a sound idea.

But, as bbycake said, don’t modify the landscape (too much). I would hate to see a flat plains just across the west road I built. Keep the beauty of current landscape.

tl;dr: Please don’t take down the Western Railway.
~Simon

If Rhal doesn’t want the rail blocking the view of the embassies, maybe you could raise the rail, instead of lowering it.

Changed the name to make it more official. I know the original name seemed random but it’s a famous palindrome :smiley:

Simon:

I know you care about the railway a lot, but it clashes with the rest of spawn pretty visibly, and most importantly it is not finished, and hasnt been for a very long time. It has one stop, and after that it goes on for a while in a crudely made 2x1 tunnel, where at 2 points it’s not even powered enough to keep going, only to end in a random field out of nowhere.

While it’s true we have a medieval town, honestly the clashing themes wouldnt even be an issue if it was completed and well built. Not only is it not finished but it shows very little effort was put into it. I’ve seen your builds, the post office looks fantastic, so in comparison to that the railway looks rather poor.

My main issue however was the fact it would block the view of the embassies, and with that in mind I definitely like the idea of turning the railway into a streetcar way. It gives us a good excuse to tun the west road into a wide boulevard giving us plenty of chance to make it prettier and more elaborate, with the railway running in between. I also think more people might use it, and would be a good starting point to maybe rally people and finish the rest of the rail?

If you want to have an above ground railway, the east is rather empty and the north definitely more modern looking, so maybe have a rail leading north to the ocean there? Again, you could rally people to help you in another event for that :slight_smile:

Let me know if you’d like to design the boulevard with the rail paths for Sunday (and if you like the plan of course!)

Here is the design Khuz and I came up for the outer fence. Feel free to submit your own concepts, and we’ll pick the best one! Something a bit more elaborate than wood fences please!

Note: The gateway was a placeholder, the main design was the fence. We’d like submissions for gateways as well!

We still need volunteers for the statue or the fountain! Submit your concepts here!

the farms need to be more compact. also flat or terraced. having the farms curve with height makes it difficult to farm.

completely agree, the weird follow the land terracing is very hard to farm quickly

Thanks for the input!

Remember, Spawn event is TODAY!

[b]12 pm Eastern US

6pm Central Europe![/b]

Join us and get your name on the credits and appreciation wall!

ALSO!

We still have a few hours for fences/walls submissions! As well as submissions for fountains and/or statues!

Could I submit a statue tomorrow? It is now 12am Monday here :slight_smile:

Woot? Where do you live?

Australia, all these events are 4am haha. And I’m not exactly an early riser either. Feels like I’ll miss it but hey, we can do projects when you sleep!

Thats a shame man:(

Well we can make something for now, and if your concept is better we can always place it after!

We’ve started the event, come join us ingame or on mumble!

This field is WAAAAAAAY too flat.

It sticks out like a sore thumb all the way from Orbit on the Dynmap, it doesnt “fit” spawn in the slightest.
I dunno if you have looked at it form spawn but, yea, wow…I dunno how this wasnt brought up yet…

Making a huge flat field with a bunch of players is not very difficult at all. I think taking the time to make it look at little more natural would only help spawn look better.

No builds or work on the area should happen untill we figure this out.

However, maybe the master plan was to have all this flat space. In that case please just ignore this post, we can add this to the list of things Im wrong about, (yet again!).

I agree, it’s far too flat and will probably ruin any attempts at making it aesthetic… Especially since the current Minecraft aesthetic trend likes curves and natural looking terrain. Now we have an even flatter design than before.
I think trying to combine flatness with aesthetic looks may have been an unwise move.

Nice terrasses could’ve made it look much better, making slopes and different elevations throughout the farm area.

Probably your best bet would be a three-tier design, middle tier level woth the road. Perhaps nesting, with the upper being an L shape, middle a sideways P and thelower wrapping around the two.

Maybe I’m just saying words.

I hope it all looks nice as it currently is. I haven’t been on since last week (not counting Mumble on Sunday), and won’t likely be able to get on til the weekend at least.

There will be some modifications to the bridge in coming days. It will be a kind of Truss bridge.

It will move the road to match with the rest of the blvd, and keep the railway at the same Y level.

However, the suspended bridge I made will get taken down. If anyone wants a suspension bridge around the spawn and have suggestions of where to make it, you can express so.

RIP West of Spawn Road Suspension Bridge August-December. It has served us well… :'D

Your suspension bridge was one of the prettiest of the server T-T