Weekly Server Restart

Hi Arcanians! I’m posing a question to you (I guess Agent really since he has the final say), but I would like to implement some sort of Weekly Server restart. Members are having issues with losing connection to the server, as well other lag issues. I’m having an issue with item frames breaking for no reason.

From and IT standpoint, a server restart would refresh the server as well as clear memory and caches which may help keep the server more consistent and may increase performance while decreasing erroneous issues members seem to have.

I would suggest doing the restart at a time where people are least likely to be effected.

I don’t know what OS the server uses, but it’s fairly easy to schedule weekly restarts with Windows. Let me know what you guys think!

Maybe a hostile mobs + chickens clean up at Spawn, if that’s possible ? They might be the cause of some of the lag…

I’m not talking about spawn lag, I’m talking about everywhere lag. Restarting is something that can only benefit everyone really. I see no cons to this.

Also, I’m responsible for the chickens at spawn LOL. I’ll kill them all.

ill reboot when I log on later this morning :slight_smile:

Good idea though.

Fired.

I went to kill all the chickens but I didn’t find any…

Yeah, I’ve been systematically murdering every chicken and passive mob at spawn. The problem is if they get stuck in underground holes, with other mobs like zombies. Zombies grab the eggs chickens lay, and then never despawn. In time, they can accumulate, and make lag…

Ohhh okay

I should probably also remove my chicken farm at spawn too…

It’s been pretty bad in terms of lag these past few days I’ve been on. I was wondering if there was a way to implement a server wide vote to restart the server. I don’t know if this is even possible considering a game would have to talk to the computer to shut it down, but a restart could help right about now.

Server just crashed. We need a better server restart system.

Oh that’s why!

Yeah, I think a vote system would work, but I don’t know how that could be implemented. That or just have it on a schedule. Make an automatic chat announcement saying the server will restart in X minutes, then just reboot it. It was really bad just now, but it crashed, so it should be good.

With that, I also think it may be time to add a lag plugin
dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/clearlagg/

Wow, it went down HARD this morning eh? That’s OK, it gave me time to come here and make that donation I’ve been meaning to get to. As far as a restart system, I’ve always been good with a warning of “Server restart in 5 minutes” kind of thing. You only have to log off for a minute or two so I just don’t see it being an issue (I never have anyway)

Are you guys on the server? I can’t get on but it says that 9 people are online.

Nah, we’re not. It’s showing the people who were on when it crashed. Dynmap is still down too. No one is on the server.

Is this still a problem? I don’t know if I’ve properly set my time zone on the forums. When I mouse over the players my name pops up but I haven’t been on since yesterday (I’ve tried connecting this morning and this afternoon)

im dyinnnnnnnnnnnnnn i need my minecraft fix!!! im gettin the DT’s MAN!!!

I am too, but this is a sign telling me to study. So study I shall!

But in all seriousness, it crashed and burned. We have to wait for one of the admins to physically reboot the computer the server is running on.

admins are all offline. server still down

I think simon should be made an admin. for reals.

I bought a brand new Lenovo laptop today guys. This suuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Aw no way! Which one did you get?

the B50-45 :slight_smile:

I’m all set up to play mc. siiiigh

Well it looks like it won’t be up for a while. I’m glad, and not really. Got two midterms this week…