Volunteering to Lead Spawn Projects

Hello community,

Over the past days spawn renewal and its organisation has been rather chaotic. We’re looking to include the community as a whole and are therefore looking for volunteers to lead the renewal of spawn and thoughts on the many things still left to be done (an overall plan).

Right now we’re looking at:

The Farms district
The Embassy district
and The Strip Mining ordeal

We are planning to cover these topics in an event coming sunday (Dec 14th). If any of you feel you’re up to the task to organise this event please reply with your thoughts and on whether you would like to volunteer. Please think clearly about how you want to form your thoughts and let’s keep this thread conflict-free.

Thank you!

Even though we don’t always see eye to eye, rhalyon was a good leader of the projects when he was allowed to get stuff done…I think rhalyon should be allowed to continue to lead the projects. He already has a great plan figured out, no reason to add more cooks to the kitchen. Just need the man power to get the work done.

I am happy to help out in any way I can.

Catch me when I’m online. Or message me.

Before I post this, remember this is a thread where people propose their ideas while volunteering to manage the event. It’s not to discuss individual proposals. Once the admins pick a manager/idea, we will have a separate thread where people can give their ideas, concerns, etc. So for now, stick to giving ideas, not discussing other people’s proposals. That goes for this post too since I’m not speaking for the rest of staff. This is my own proposal, which does not necessarily mean it will be the one we end up going with.

I also want to point out no one should feel threatened or discouraged for putting their name in the mix. This is a community, just because you arent one of the main regulars or a staffer, doesnt mean your voice doesnt matter!

That being said, I’d like to show you all my proposal for Sunday should the admins accept it.

First of all, I believe that due to recent events, people have been discouraged to help fill strip mines so filling those in, to me, should no longer be a prerequisite for finishing the spawn projects as it might take too long at this point to complete. However, I still encourage people to help those awesome individuals who despite recent events have still actively been filling mines. Once spawn projects are done, I will join them myself to finish up! Your efforts will be recognized. I think we should be aiming to finish this before we switch to 1.8 and before the holiday period begins: both events will lead to a high influx of new and returning players, so we should be ready to receive them before. This Sunday should be our goal.

I will keep it short and can expand should admins ask, or if we pick this plan and make a thread about it.

My plan follow this image:

1. We need more space for embassies, the south side of the west road isnt enough. We push the farms further back and open up a second row of embassies

2. Maximum size of embassies should be discussed. If we adhere to the current size of the embassy, we’d fit 6-8 total if we’re lucky. Meaning future players wont get a chance to build on once the district fills up

3. We expand the west road and make the path leading up to the area more visible and grander. Right now the west side is kind of hidden.

4. We put the subway tracks underground. They go underground just before the bridge so why not have it underground the whole way there? The subway isnt finished, is not being utilized, and would only serve to obstruct the top parts of the embassies. We keep it but put it underground.

5. The intersection of the west road and the road leading to the farms will be made into a circular plaza. In the middle a fountain or better yet a Statue of some sort. Would be good to have ppl skilled in 3D art to help.

5.1) The interesection will have a road leading south to the upcoming harbor, and north to the farm

1. To keep the original plantation concept designed by aljady, i think the best thing is to raise the current area where the farms are now to the same level as the road. We get a flat, expansive, plantation look which trust me, it will look awesome.

2. A small fence/wall surrounding the district, with small entrances West, North, and South (and corresponding paths leading in), while the main entrance will be on the south, with a road leading straight to the plantation home

3. Plantation home follows a base design created by our very talented aljady, but just like the storage building the interiors and any tweaking will be a community-wide effort.

4. The fields with food shouldnt have to be so big, it’s unnecessary to have massive fields. We should go for aesthetics over function since this is spawn, and things should look nice.

5. We also dont need Cacti and netherwarts, they are both out of place and should be built in their corresponding biomes. They stand out for all the wrong reasons.

6. There is space available north west of the area, if we want animal farms they can be place in a secondary compound there. It would be far enough from spawn to not contribute to lag, but that in my opinion is not a priority.

Embassies:

The main thing built on Sunday will be the farms and prepping the space for embassies. While the district is a community area, the builds will be built by individual owners of towns, and therefore does not need community involvement. Every owner of an embassy should have the right to choose who gets to help or not. If they want to do it alone, thats their right. This is a community driven area, not community builds.

That being said, once a plan is picked we will all have to discuss certain groundrules for the embassies, such as plot sizes and requirements for being able to build one.

I also believe that people’s involvement in spawn clearing, spawn builds, and mine filling should be taken into account when assigning spots. People who helped more and have been selfless to the community should get priority. This last part is up to the admins however.

The reason why Western railway is not being completed is because there’s pratically nobody living around the west. I want the railway to stay on or above ground for spawn sightseeing…
None of the other rails get to travel on or above ground level at spawn, so… :confused:

StripMineing Plan!

Good day. I have taken it upon myself to help fill in the Stripmines under spawn because if we look at it like a couple small projects, it will make the job go by much quicker!

Important tips when filling in the stripmines:
-Close up dead ends and paths that lead in circles
-Close up paths that run right next to eachother
-Make a main path and patch up ends and circles you see along it

http://imgur.com/80ufyCa,9HXWaXQ,fsToWop#0

This is a Link to 3 Images.

1. We divide spawn into 4 quadrants: NW, SW, NE, SE.
    Help by filling up the strip mines inside one or two of the squares marked.

2.I have been working in squares 1 and 2 on the map (NW +SW) filling in the stripmines below Y20.

1. The 3rd picture is an example of the stripmines that need filling.
    It often helps to have the Dynmap open on your screen just below Minecraft so youre able to see the mines.

Entrances:
http://imgur.com/LCg24dF

These are a few entrances off the top of my head that lead you to the Mines. The house just SW of spawn has a entrance in the back that leads down to the ravine in Quadrant:1(SW)

There are probably some entrances I have missed but this gives you an idea of where to get started if you want to help.

Bravo Rha :smiley:

For Embassy plot size, how does 25x16 sound?

As for filling in the strip mine, i can donate some time to it. and if there is a donate chest, i have a ton of fill to give to the project.

I feel like I would be able to spearhead the strip mining ordeal.

My plan, if taken into account either way, would be to carve a 1x2 block perimeter around the spawn chunks that need filled, making sure to connect all existing tunnels to the perimeter. After that is completed, I would have one team begin at the North end and head South while another team started at East and headed West. As they reached an intersection with another tunnel, they would skip over it so that the person who passes through that crossroad would fill it. I would also have another person with a map such as Rei’s scouting ahead for chasms, natural tunnels and the like marking them on the map with a waypoint so that they can be filled at a later date if need be.

Hello everyone !
TL&DR at the end of this long post !

I would like to lead the ending of the spawn renewal project, and first of all be thankful that:
-Obviously, everyone here considers the spawn strip mines filling and the rest of the building-part are two separate projects.

-Stuff are finally being decided collectively, and not just waited out.

-Even Rhalyon now makes pretty “MS Paint” plans. All praise MS Paint. (I actually use Photoshop.)

I also want to point out everyone should feel threatened and discouraged for putting their name in the mix. This is a community, but if you aren’t one of the main regulars or a staffer, it usually means your voice doesn’t matter! (haha, satire.)

This is my plan. I call it the “Let’s look at what we have and end this splawn renewal that is taking too much goddamn time”.
As a general rule for spawn cleaning (and additionally updating, but it’s no one’s fault.), I give you this meme:
Clicky clicky

As well as this magnificent plan:

I- The Farms:

We keep those we have now.

They are extensive, they are ok-looking (and that can be improved), they are purposeful. We have a lot of space, we used it. Only improvement we can give is making the pathways prettier and lighting up the farms, although since they are so big, nobody would need more than the whole farm anyway.

Quite a few players have helped buildings those, including JogarCraft, B455M4N, MrDimension, Baconfortress, USMC, and of course Bbycake.

Despite being so extensive, a plot is still open and could be used either for mobs, if they become ok when the lag reduces, or for a more “fun” farm such as a cake farm (egg farm+wheat+sugarcane+milk), or even a flower farm?

Aljady’s building would come in the center and be the real centerpiece of the farms. It would tie up the whole place and make it much prettier. We would definitely theme the roads around it according to the building, but for that, the building has to be built.

Filling up more of the area north would cost a lot of filling ressources, and frankly, we need those to fill up the underground. Plus, a road has been built, with a very nice land-holding wall to make it look pretty, with lamps ready to be linked to Simon’s Spawn Streetlamp System.
=> http://i.imgur.com/FfTdHK3.png
By getting even closer, we would definitely loose the “natural look” we tried to keep until now, north of the farms.

Also, since we’re talking about farms, we get rid of the farm south of Spawn. It has become redundant and is really ugly. It will make space for more player builds!

That leads to my next point: From the majority of spawn, the farms are not visible, that means making it overly pretty and loosing in efficiency and purpose is meaningless. We need them to be first of all useful when you actually use them. Have a lot of ressources, like netherwart, that people frequently ask for and never know where to find! Or vines, the greatest friend of any medieval builder! (like for the House of Chests).
Proof: http://i.imgur.com/oCsUfmb.png

II- Embassies

The Embassies are not normal builds. They have been envisioned as special extraordinary builds. For someone to have an embassy, he has to have either a strong, well-established old community (Hydra, Rhalyon’s Jungle), or a strong and well-established Role Play existence (Shambhala plateau, People’s Republic of Taiga, Dwarven Mordor). For that reason, it is not a build anyone can have. Having a huge area for them is pointless.
We will never have more than 6 or 7 embassies. For that reason, I propose:
-either we simply keep the plan we have
-or we destroys the first builds on the road to the Embassy District and the Farms, to make place for Embassies.

But we DO NOT:
-Change the whole geography
-Destroy the air-metro, a crucial landmark, symbol of the West of Spawn, that will be able to showcase the embassies.

And to resolve any problems with the size, and since it’s exceptional builds, admins have to give their approval of a base plan of the build before it is authorized to be built, or ask for info on how it will look, or even a screenshot of a test for it.

Why here?

The Embassies will have a wide open view thanks to the farms, but will also nicely overlook the harbour behind them. Perfect. Let’s not change that.
And frankly, we don’t have the time to change plans every two weeks. Our original plan is good, even for the embassies, and we should keep it.

I would like to emphasize the fact that this IS a place for elite builds. They are NOT normal builds. And player-built structure in spawn could perfectly be smaller embassies of their region, simply they would not be in The Embassy District, featuring the most important embassies. It is an incentive to be active and to form a stable community, or get into Role Play (but not in a kinky way.).

I would like to address another quick issue, while I’m at it, and since at spawn everything is linked:
We should not authorize players to have massive chunks of Spawn, such as Sharp’s claims on the Southeast of spawn, having already a huge house. This sort of claims is a problem. Embassies taking up some space frankly aren’t.

III- The Strip Mines

I cannot propose a better idea than B455M4N’s, in my opinion, and I fully support him. He is a trusted member of the community, I’m sure he will do a great job !

Closing word / TL&DR:

We keep what we have, because it works.
Aljady’s building will make the farm look nice.
Embassies, elite buildings, are in the right place with the harbour
Let’s finish this spawn cleaning and rebuilding. It’s taking too much time for nothing. We’re at the end of it, we just need Alj’s building, finish the underground filling and to reopen the land claiming.
Let’s not, on the other hand, throw ourselves into another 2-month long process of waiting for authorizations, when we already have something.

Magnificent, DClem :slight_smile:

Hello everybody,

First of all, thank you for your input. It’s good to see everyone so involved.

The last properly organized event to do with spawn was the building removal project. This, in my opinion was done quite professionally and with a lot of fun. Since Rhalyon lead that project I think it would be great to have him do this one as well. So on coming Sunday he’ll be the one to go to for instructions.

Meanwhile, B455 and Melium have come up with some good ideas concerning the strip mining problem below spawn, and I’ve asked Melium to take the lead on that one.

Both Rhalyon and Melium will be making a separate thread with precise times and information, so look out for those.

Again, thank you all for your input, I’m sure the respective leads will take your opinions into consideration.

Just want to make a short post:
I made a thread detailing concern over the amount of chests at spawn, I think this would make a great community job.

If we are too busy this week with The Embassies + Mines then maybe next Sunday or sometime this week a mod and a couple people could work on this task. More info here:
http://arcane-minecraft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=563

So are we goin with Rhayon’s concept for the area west of spawn?

So you chose on experience only? What was the point of calling for volunteers?
I’m sorry, but I have to question the reasoning behind this choice…
You would’ve said “his plans is much better, he better identified the problems and has good ideas”, I would’ve shut up, but that’s not the case here, that’s not what you’re saying…

If we are going to widen the road and take down the rails, can we at least keep the rail on the street level? I believe it wouldn’t look so bad as trams (or streetcars)…

Actually, I don’t think it’s going to look bad even after having embassies set up. Please just don’t go start breaking down the overhead railway line. It does mean a lot to me.