The 1.9 Update: Plugin Features

== New Features added since this post will be [color=#FF0000]highlighted[/color] ==

Hey all, with all the discussion of the 1.9 update I realized I’d probably have to update the custom plugins I wrote for Arcane. I’d like to see what you think of them, if / how you use them, and what features you’d like to see. I’ll summarize them here:

[ul]
[li]Arcane Chat Utilities
Provides some convenience features for communication within the game.
[list]
[]Local Chat: [color=#00BF00]/local[/color] (or [color=#00BF00]/l[/color]) lets you send a message to only the players that are close to you. The radius can optionally be set per message using [color=#00BF00]-r[/color] followed by a number, or you can use [color=#00BF00]/ltoggle[/color] to send messages in local chat by default- setting a radius with [color=#00BF00]/ltoggle[/color] will save that radius and use it for all messages until you exit local chat with another [color=#00BF00]/ltoggle[/color].
[color=#FF0000]/global[/color] (or [color=#FF0000]/g[/color]) will send your message to the whole server regardless of your local chat state. Useful for saying hi to people when you’re in the middle of a group project!
The [color=#FF0000]-h[/color] flag (“help”) can be used with both [color=#00BF00]/local[/color] and [color=#00BF00]/ltoggle[/color] to see an explanation of how they work. It’s been reworked to be much more helpful.[/li]
[li]AFK Tag: [color=#00BF00]/afk[/color] puts [color=#BF40FF][AFK][/color] next to your name in the player list (‘tab’ by default), letting other players check if you’re actually reading the 100 PMs they’ve sent you or if you’re getting another slice of pizza. Moving, chatting, or entering a command will automatically remove the tag however, because you probably aren’t AFK any more. [color=#FF0000]Automatic AFK[/color]: 5 minutes of doing nothing will automatically set you to AFK as well.[/li]
[li]Known Issues: The AFK tag is unset by any motion, so taking knockback from an explosion or damage will unset the tag. Recommended solution: Find a safe place to AFK instead of standing out in the open.[/li][/ul][/
:m]
[li]Arcane Bot | Golem
[ul]
“Golem” being the traditional name for arcane constructs designed by a wizard to perform some task.
Started out as a silly chat responder, became useful when it learned how to solve mathematical expressions.
[]Math Solver: [color=#00BF00]/golem calc[/color] will, when provided with a mathematical expression, determine the resulting value for you. It can solve most of what the Java Math class supports, though some functions related to the representation of “double precision” numbers are unsupported. Basically, give it something like "23^3 + 42cos(toRadians(45))" and it will message you back with the answer.[/li]
[li]Known Issues: None! The golem is happily solving whatever math problems you give it, though it’s been mute for a long time because it only knew about five responses and half of them were inflammatory.[/li][/ul][/*:m][/list:u]

I don’t want to add anything that would actually impact gameplay (like a teleport or a shop) but if you want the chat colors changed [size=50]or you want to explode when you /afk[/size] or other feature added, I’ll see what I can do! Unless the new feature is removing the plugin entirely. You’ll need a couple supporting votes for that :wink:

Features I wouldn’t mind seeing for the /Local and related Chat functions:

I would love to see at some point a command that could be used in conjunction with /ltoggle, that when used would talk to the global chat, so if the majority of my messaging is taking place in /l, I don’t have to disable/re-enable the toggle to respond to a Global-Chat question.
Maybe something like /w (world) or /g (global).

Another, perhaps more specific request, would be for more exact /help dialogues for /l and other custom plugins.
I’m still not 100% sure how to use the -radius argument properly.

I wouldn’t mind having a timer run on people so that all the people who are afk and forget to tag are marked

after 10 min after not moving once
[Server]: Looks like Melium forgot to /afk, let me toggle that

been a long time since I had to use it so I can’t recall, does /help list all the extra commands?{Golem, ytor, bby,dclem,…} can we add a help page for that?

/help
:/help
:/help help

:/rules

:/help cool

:/help 2 for more info

Are you against things like
-adding the killer rabbit spawn back in(vanilla disabled)
-using a plugin that plants dropped saplings?

Dragon-
[ul]
[li] Having a reverse /l makes sense. Is /world or /global a better mnemonic?[/li]
[li] I think Agent wrote up a custom replacement for /help, I’ll have to ask him how to add plugin commands to it.[/li][/ul]

Bontrose-
[ul]
[li] Timed AFK would be a great feature. I might even be able to do it without a major performance hit too, so it’s going on the to-do list![/li]
[li] Help doesn’t list very much of anything. I’ll ask Agent about expanding it.[/li]
[li] The killer rabbit and auto-planting saplings both affect game mechanics directly, I’m a little concerned about adding stuff like that since we’re “semi-vanilla”. If it’s what the people want, though, then I’ll try it.[/li][/ul]

the auto afk could be done as thus:

10 min cron:
pull list players_new;
for every player in players_new{
if player.status==afk{
remove player from players_new;
}else{
if player is in players_old{
if player.x == players_old(player.name, “x”) and
player.y == players_old(player.name, “y”) and
player.z == players_old(player.name, “z”) and
player.p == players_old(player.name, “p”) and
player.y == players_old(player.name, “y”){
player.status = afk;
}
}
}
players_old=players_new;

the killer rabbit i don’t see affecting a whole lot as it is like a 1:2500 spawn when enabled iirc, just something to hunt for.

the regrowth i could see affecting the gameplay, but i like it as it doesn’t affect it a whole lot. just enough to clean up for lazy people in the woods. I actually had someone design a plugin that planted stuff when it went to despawn if it was on valid blocks for my personal server. it did

Cocoa beans (when next to jungle logs)
Vines (when next to a block)
Pumpkin / Melon / Wheat Seeds (when on top of farmland)
Potatoes and Carrots (when on top of farmland)
Melon blocks, slices, and pumpkins (when on top of farmland)
Netherrack (when on top of soul sand)
Sugarcane (when on sand, dirt, or grass and next to water)
Cactus (when on sand and not next to any solid blocks)
Flowers (when on grass or dirt)
Saplings (when on grass or dirt)
Dead bush (when on sand)
Mushrooms (when on any solid block)

I like the idea of auto plant too. It would eliminate the need to deforest entire biomes :stuck_out_tongue:

Bontrose, it’s actually simpler than that in some ways, the server sends a “PlayerMoved” event that I can listen for. I’m working on that now.

In the mean time, enjoy your new [color=#FF0000]/global[/color] and a much-improved help flag -h on /local and /ltoggle!

I like the auto-replant idea. Imagine all the afk farms.

I’m on a roll, or maybe it’s just a bun. Either way, bread is tasty and here’s another new feature for you:

Automatic AFK! Now you can be even lazier about being AFK. Five minutes of not moving, chatting, or running commands and you’ll automatically get tagged as if you’d actually put in the effort to type “/afk” and hit enter!

if you leave the leaves to rot, yeah, it would replant the forest. otherwise not.

you would never get the placement right on the seeds, plus they clump.

I have some ideas involving droppers that could work

really? even with the clumping?

Pick the seeds up with hoppers, drop 1 seed on the farmland. Wouldn’t be able to have them next to eachother though, due to dispensers, droppers being random. Water streams could work, depending on how long it would take for the seeds to be planted.