[Splawn]The flaws of my mini-Cow Farm

Hello everyone!

I’d like to address something that has frequently been brought up to me since I’ve built a mini-cow farm at spawn where my cake-shop use to be.

Yes, the design has a flaw. Some baby cows get stuck in the corners, pushed by the others cows, and are unable to move down with the other baby cows. In term, the “breeding cows” reach breeding limit, and the cow farm isn’t functional anymore.

Sadly, there is no fix to this problem !

Yesterday, in my testing world, I tried everything to get the baby cows unstuck. I tried putting the cows on un-connected fences, in flowing water, on stairs, tempting them with some sweet wheat, even push them with a piston. The fact is, approximately 1 on every 7 cows always get stuck in the corner and pushed by the other cows, with no way to get them to move.

If you already tried moving mobs, you are aware of this problem: if they get stuck in a corner, there is no way you can make them move from there. If you have already seen over-crowded animal pens, you have also seen how mobs get stuck in corners all the time…

Since my plot in this area is rather small (I got it a very long time ago, when Splawn was over-crowded) and I wanted something compact, useful and aesthetic, I will not be changing the design. I’d like to point out that, even if I opened this farm to the public, it is still my farm on my plot, albeit at spawn, and I’d like to be the only one to make changes to it. I’ve built this design specifically because I did not want to cause lag, with very little redstone, no flowing water, etc…

When breeding limit is reached, please, ask for a mod to kill off some cows. Dear mods, kill 15 to 20 cows, no more, or else the cow farm is going to slow down significantly…

Bigger more efficient designs might be possible for a real server-wide cow farm.
For the time being, my mini-cow farm serves de facto as the server cow farm and yield, at max efficiency, about 15 leather each 20 minutes, which, in my opinion, is not so bad !

I hope this explains everything in regards to my mini-cow farm! :slight_smile:

I have the same issue with my cow farm. The design is the same, except I extended the breeding chamber one extra block in order to get water to flow from one direction to the other where the babies fall down. It still didn’t work. I’ve just been killing cows every so usage cycle. The build is still a lot easier than the old cow farm.

I have a suggestion.
You can make the breeding chamber 2 blocks wide and use nether fence and wooden fence, this will prevent the adult cows from falling down, but it will allow the babies to fall down.

Nope Hearts, I tested, and they still get stuck on the wall. That would work if it was included in the floor, not on a wall, like I have, and that means a much bigger farm…

Hey, how about making it across two chunks? Cows can jump up and down on one chunk and baby cows can fall into another chunk.

I don’t even know if that makes sense.

It is across two chunks already…

We try a design that is by TangoTek, you can spread the 4 cells amongst 4 chunks that could increase efficiency. It is not an overall hard design but a little time consuming.