Moving the old map

Earlier this year, the server underwent a pretty major change during which we started a new map and moved to a different host. At the time, many players wanted to retain access to the old map because they still had projects on there. To accommodate this, we changed the server to have two separate maps, new and old. Unfortunately, having two separate maps effectively doubles the necessary server resources. Running two dynmaps along with Multiverse (the plugin we use for multiple worlds) is very resource intensive. Increasing frequency of server crashes, along with dwindling usage of the old map, has lead us to consider moving the old map to a separate server.

We’d like to continue to provide access to both maps, but the resources required for running both of them on the same server are outside of our budget. Moving the old map would free up resources on the main (new map) server, which would reduce lag and downtime, and increase available storage. The old map would likely be hosted on one of the admin’s (probably my) home server. The main downside to this vs a proper host is reduced up-time. If the power goes out at my house, the server’s going to be down until it comes back on. I think this is an acceptable trade-off for the increased performance on the main server.

Thoughts? Problems? Alternate solutions? Post them here please.

Is it possible to stick the old world up for download? It would free up space, and anyone who wanted the old map would have access to it. We could keep the map if we really wanted, but I think we gotta let the old world go at some point. I apologize if I seem insensitive.

That’s almost definitely feasible. It’s pretty big zipped up though. I’d definitely prefer that route, but some people might still want be able to play on the old map with others.

That seems fine, but if we’re gonna have another server for the old map, would it just be the people who play on our new map know the IP for the old world? Because if new players join the old world and no one’s on, and it’s another server, an admin might not know another player joined?
Would you add “Join our new world at: (server address)” to the message you get when you join?
Also, when you make the server for the old world, are you going to ban the same people who have perm-ban on the server?

That’s all my questions, thanks!

100% in favour of this idea. Legacy Server!!

I really like this idea too. There’s a lot of love poured into the old map. For Island’s question, I don’t think we intend to advertise the old server outside of the main one. Anyone who plays on Arcane will find out about it, but new players will join the main server and get access to the old one from there if they’re curious about it. The greylist and bans will certainly be carried over at least.

I am in favor of this idea too. Either option, world download or a separate server, seems fine to me.

[quote=“Islandprincess17”]That seems fine, but if we’re gonna have another server for the old map, would it just be the people who play on our new map know the IP for the old world? Because if new players join the old world and no one’s on, and it’s another server, an admin might not know another player joined?
Would you add “Join our new world at: (server address)” to the message you get when you join?
Also, when you make the server for the old world, are you going to ban the same people who have perm-ban on the server?

That’s all my questions, thanks![/quote]

Good questions! It would probably just be available to old players. I don’t want to actively recruit for an old map when we have a new one. A message about the new server might be useful, but the people joining the old one would probably know about the new one. We’d keep the same banlist, although I wouldn’t expect that to be an issue.

Since most people seem OK with a download for the old map rather than a separate server, I think that’s what we’re going to do. If someone would like to host the map themselves, message one of the admins about it.