Lag at Spawn

Hello, making this thread so we have a place to talk about the lag at spawn.
I was gone for a couple months and returning I notice Spawn has developed some lag.

I’m pretty familiar with the causes of lag in Minecraft, but I decided to do some research about what might cause lag specifically at spawn. I notice people have made sure the farms are not automatic and that’s great. Today I was thinking: The last time I played the Community chest room was maybe 4 chests… it has grown to about 30 or 40 now lol.

I notice three main areas with an excess of chests:
Community Chest House, VIP Chest House, and Troll Market.

Walking around these areas I notice my FPS drops lower, this is just something that caught my eye.

I know people put a lot of time and effort into building the Chest House at spawn and it looks awesome.
Not trying to remove the building however: Using a design with less chests may be beneficial to increasing our FPS at spawn. We would relocate the rests of the chests to a new Community Chest House built a bit away from spawn.

The VIP chest house would be built alongside the new Community Chest House. This new Community Chest House would be like a Mega-Community Chest House much like what we have at spawn now :slight_smile:

I do think filling in the StripMines under spawn is a good way to help, but if we can remove all the chests from these locations we will see a huge difference.

Just something to consider, overall Ive just typed all this out because Im trying to help. I dont think Im right or wrong here.
Ive broken the Ice, anyone else feel free to share your thoughts.

Didnt Jugg say he was going to do some lag testing a while back? Did he find out the main source of lag at spawn? I feel like I missed something. :confused:

Originally we didn’t have that many chests in the storage building. The amount of chests came from the need to store all the excess materials we got from clearing spawn. A lot of the materials have already been used to filling strip mines, so we can probably get rid of some already. The rest of the materials were going to be put towards community builds, so as we complete more of those, we can get rid of those too.

It could be signs too…

Also, a lot of the abandoned builds we kept during spawn clearing were just because they were quality builds. Removing some of the chests and signage from those could help.

While I’m sure removing of signs/entities/boats/whatever will help ease the lag around spawn, I’m almost certain it’s always going to lag. I’m fairly sure the lag is caused simply by all the blocks placed around spawn - So unless we demolish every last building, we’re always going to have lag.

I don’t want to stop the whole lag-removal effort here, but I just think it’s mostly pointless. I know of a server that actually banned every single lag-inducing block (a very long list) and the server’s spawn still lags quite a bit to this day.

Just thought I’d throw that out there - The lag probably isn’t going away. :frowning:

Its common knowlage that Spawn can be a laggy place in Minecraft, I was under the impression we were going to fix it knowing this.

I can see you dont want people messing with the chest rooms. I guess Im wrong about the chests, Ill stop bringing this up. Im just doing more damage than help.

This was all kinda pointless in the first place too. Sorry about all of this. Shouldn’t have brought it up

B455, you brought up a very good point, and we should address it

1. Yes there will always be lag but we can do our best to curb it, i think filling mines and getting rid of redstone intensive farms has helped

2. Based on the chest point, we can do two things:

• Keep the warehouse and post office, but remove empty chests. We leave the slots for them but if the chest is empty we remove it, and add one only when the space is needed

-Move the warehouse away from spawn. We kept the surplus material near spawn for all the works, but now that we are about to be finished we can empty out the top floor and put the contents a bit further out (maybe the eastern fields that are now available or past the western bridge infront of Jacofalltrades’ compound)

-Up to simon if he’d be willing to move the post office, although having it away defeats its purpose. so maybe stick with getting rid of empty chests and only putting whats needed

1. Abandoned builds that were kept due to aesthetics, we go and get rid of the chests and unnecessary signs there.

Yea: I think the main focus here should be removing the chests.
I agree that there’s only so much we can do to help spawn, I think will be better to leave the signs and buildings alone.

I’d like to point out that I don’t think it’s the chests causing all the lag. They may contribute, but I’m sure they are nbot the main source.

I say this because I have a chest room that has as many, if not more chests than the Chest House and the Mailroom combined. I get next to no lag while in my room, which is in T3. Compared to spawn? Some days it’s hard to walk around.

[quote=“Dragon_DLV”]I’d like to point out that I don’t think it’s the chests causing all the lag. They may contribute, but I’m sure they are nbot the main source.

I say this because I have a chest room that has as many, if not more chests than the Chest House and the Mailroom combined. I get next to no lag while in my room, which is in T3. Compared to spawn? Some days it’s hard to walk around.[/quote]

However, this is within the spawn chunks and are constantly rendered. I’m not sure but I think location is an uncontrolled variable within this.