I have an Idea for embassy and farm area

I know rhalyon you are set keeping everything together, but please hear me out…You know I think the current choice of placement on the East Road is a long walk people are not going to like. Also that long walk has major design issues for people trying to build these epic embassies you want built…HILLS not just regular hills but EXTREME HILLS at that…not so fun for the builders…

here is an idea…we recently cleared an area not to far from spawn that both areas would fit in…I know you want the cow farm far away to reduce lag, so it could be the furthest farm…even past the photo area as it is still empty too…it is nice flat forest, forest hills or plains…much easier to work with…much nicer area to walk through and one food farm is already there. with some automation, and more could be added

please excuse the bad photo editing skills, I do not have photoshop

I second this and the MS Paint skills !

#FlatForEmbassies

Support for realistic planning!
Who would want to farm on hills when there’s flat land nearby in real world? :stuck_out_tongue:
We can make the bottom part into a harbor as well.

It looks like a pretty solid idea. I definitely think that the farms, especially the automated farms, need to be away from spawn due to lag but still close enough to be of use to players and this looks like a good spot. The embassies should be in an area that allows them to be as elegant as possible as well. All in all, it looks like a solid and easily enacted plan.

I have to go to work now, please no one act on this until I get back so I can give a proper response.

It was just idea, no one was building anything…relax! But seeing how you want to write a proper response, it is clear you have already dismissed the idea. This is why people do not volunteer…

I like this idea. The area East of spawn is hilly and cramped, while there is plenty of unused space west.

The only issue would be that the farm building is already built according to the space provided in the East area, but perhaps it could work for this area as well. We could always just make adjustments to the building if necessary.

God damn it, I just wrote a detailed and nicely worded response which some how didnt go through. Gotta go to work but let me give the gist of it:

This area has been proposed multiple times before in other threads, and I’ve already said why we aren’t going with it. That area is just too close to spawn. The whole point of moving the farms is so that new players dont load in the area when they first join to curb the lag issue. If we are moving the farms from under spawn, only to have them 50-80 meters off to the side, then nothing gets fixed. The valley to the east is just barely outside the loading in area, while on the west side the loading in area stops just by the hopistal. From there to the river there is very little area to work with, and the staff agreed we are going for aesthetics over function so no building animal pits underground, etc etc.

The point of the embassy district and it’s placement is we want people to advertise their towns, and make sure new players see these embassies. That’s why we thought of putting them on the way to the farms, because they will probably be among the best builds at spawn and will get the right exposure. It also showcases our server’s sense of community. IDK why you guys are saying that hill area is hard to work with, because it’s been pretty flattened out, making it a large flat area. If however people are really opposed to it, especially because of the green from the hill biome, then we can move them to the west side (although we lose that exposure from the path to the farms). Moving the farm though, at least there, doesnt seem like an option. However, there are also a number of people who wanted to build the embassies on that hill, so option B is everyone just builds the embassies wherever they want if there is no clear majority

Sorry for the bluntness, I was writing it in a hurry!

We’ll have mostly crops, since the sheep has already been moved and the cow farm will be redesigned and compacted.
So the farms will cause no lag.

So it’s far better to give them a big flat area than a hilly tiny area, is it not?

Still works with USMC’s idea.

No. It is a very small area with a huge ice farm, surrounded by steep terrain. It is in no way an ideal spot for an embassy, let alone for 3 or 4 embassies.

It is though… We have a big open area, farms don’t cause lag.

That number being? We can have a vote. I mean, seeing the people here, it’s clear that the hilly area is not a good idea whatsoever…

I must have missed the ‘multiple threads’ where ‘we’ decided on the east area.

I’ll drop in some thoughts about the lag issues we’re facing right now.

[ol]
[li]Underground is dug out so much with so much exposed surfaces as of now. So much exposed surfaces may cause lag.[/li]
[li]Lava. We haven’t touched on removing all the lava under the spawn yet. They apparently cause fps lag on client side.[/li]
[li]Entities: So many cows are underground.[/li]
[li]Basically, underground itself is not so ideal since it concentrates so many farms into less chunks rather than spreading things about many more chunks.[/li][/ol]

Possible solution, as most of us agreed on, is to relocate them far enough from the spawn. I’d like to add that we should spread them across the land as well. Game clients don’t load certain chunks based on the client configuration. If a player knows they have lag problem at all, they would have lowered their render distance to play Minecraft.

All in all, it will not hurt to place farms on the west as it would to the east.

Rhalyon, I think you’re just too focused on wanting to build an Embassy area on West of Spawn. However, it’s good to see public opinion rather than inflating your opinion to enforce your wants.

To everyone, let’s relax. I think we all are just about to explode with mockery.

With respect,
~Simon

So what are we deciding?

Well everyone on this thread, except Rhalyon, likes this idea. No one else has weighed in, so let’s go with the decision that the most people seem to agree with.

Due to IRL issues from some staff members, and waiting on development of another decision which would directly affect the farm/embassy issue, we are putting this project on hold. For now just use the other farms which are still in place.

Be honest here. We’re all just waiting because you don’t like the idea, right?

Because on 6 people who gave their opinion here, 5 of them are for this idea, including 2 active mods. Rhalyon, you are the only one against it.

I’m sorry to be annoying, but you are stopping all of the reconstruction project just because you alone don’t like it. This idea is great and logical. So just let it go and let us build the embassies and the farms where we want to !

[quote=“rhalyon”] 1) Due to IRL issues from some staff members

1. waiting on development of another decision which would directly affect the farm/embassy issue.[/quote]

You know what I’m talking about with #1.

Notice Simon and bby not saying anything cause they know about #2.

So please be patient and stop jumping to conclusions

[quote=“rhalyon”]

1. Due to IRL issues from some staff members

2. waiting on development of another decision which would directly affect the farm/embassy issue.[/quote]

I know I’m not a “staffer”, but I am an active member of this community…a community you used to think should work together to be better.

1. Rhalyon we do not need aljady’s building info to get started…Dclem saw the building and we can work around that space for it.

2. Why all the secrets…tell us what is going on so we can brainstorm other ideas if this would not work out. this is a community, and since you got mod powers, you have forgotten that. A community does not like secret societies that we are not invited to or being dictated to…and don’t fake ask for our opinion and then not listen cause it was not your idea. Before you became mod, you talked about making the community better…So instead of fighting every idea lets work together…I am sure if we brainstormed we could find solutions to almost every problem, if we know what they are…so lets collaborate, not dictate rhal.

3. Dclem’s harbor idea would work perfectly with this plan…it would look like a cohesive city, planned out thoroughly, not pieced together after the fact.

4. Can we begin Aman zul since the blue house guy has not been back.

5. Can we begin the redesign of the cow farm…2 problems I see…bouncing cows and running water…stop those things when not in use and it would stop a lot of lag. would not even be that big of changes, for those afraid of change…I would not change the mechanics, every thing would happen off the same switches, no need to complicate it more. also would up the efficiency of the leather output (right now a lot of the leather is eaten by the lava used to kill the cows.)

6. I personally am not working on my own projects until the 1.8 update and spawn is done, because the outcome of these two things will decide whether I make this server a permanent home where I donate to support it and continue my buildings to make it better. I know I am not the only one that feels this way right now…so I hope the Secret Mod Society (SMS) will decide to start being part of the community.

Jesus this thread has a lot of bickering. Knock it off everybody.

I’m seeing a lot of speculation and not a whole lot of evidence of what actually causes lag at spawn. When I get back to my desktop and have some time (either tomorrow or Monday) I’ll spend some time with the world in single player and see if I can figure out what’s the main cause of the lag, be it farms, entities, strip mines, torches, redstone or whatever.