A Mesa has been spotted up North: Rare Biome Resource Access

So, as of the last few days someone built a nether portal taking them outside of the maps boundaries and revealed the first Mesa biome because of it. It’s currently inaccessible and unless we get a border increase in 1.8 to accommodate for the new ores it won’t be an issue. However, there is the singular mushroom island in the northwest (close to the new Mesa).

It occurred to me that mycelium isn’t a big issue as it can spread from block to block, so it’s not technically a limited resource you’d need to make multiple trips for. However, in 1.8 if we were to see an increase in map size Red Sand and therefore Red Sandstone could only be obtained from this new location if no other Mesas are in the new map border. This will create a fairly high value over the territory for those that are interested in these new blocks.

Now I get that many people will want to claim the Mesa to build and live in, but it seems very likely that this biome could also be claimed by people just looking to capitalize on the building material (this issue could become less of a problem if the biome is massive or if there are more than one Mesas now available). If this is the case, it seems like a poor system to me to say that the first person to put a sign down saying “mine” should be able to hog the resources.

So then, what I’m asking is that IF the area ever becomes available through a border increase, that the server as a collective marks off a set area of the mesa for anyone to go to and collect public resources. This doesn’t mean mark off the entire Mesa and it doesn’t mean no one else can claim territory. I would also like to think that people can only claim the land if they actually build things on the area. I’m just trying to make the new opportunities that the biome offers more readily available to everyone, and not simply a land rush and people preemptively building around it and waiting for a chance to rush in and scoop up what they can before everybody else (which honestly I doubt will happen, but I figured we should play it safe).

So… Thoughts on making a decent part of the new Mesa Biome public land for mining purposes should the map border ever extend out that far?

To be honest, that is a rather decent idea.

I know the idea of “Nature Reserves” had been floated for some areas, but a Public Use area sounds like a good plan for something that will be rather rare.

There should be rules about taking Hardened Clay from the Mesa Biomes, since they’re so rare I believe that players shouldn’t be able to flatten out the entire place to the point where there’s no Hardened Clay left. Players should hollow out hills and mine beneath the top surface layer. Similar rules should apply for Red Sand too.

I agree with the idea of not taking from the top layer, and I like the idea of having a designated area for taking resources. Perhaps we could have a similar system for the spiked Ice biome? or would different rules be needed for that biome, as packed ice would be even rarer?

I agree with Dramlx, the surface blocks should be left intact while underground it should be free to carve out.

Honestly,

The top layer thing might work, but it’s really hard to enforce. I do like the idea though. This would be something that would be enforced in the public area or throughout the biome?

I think it should be like that in the entire biome.

The rules should apply for the whole biome.
For the spiked ice biome (if we even find one) each player should only be able to mine a certain amount of Packed Ice depending on the biome’s size.

This Mesa is a VERY RARE version of Mesa, called a Mesa Bryce!

I suggest you check the topic I made in the suggestion part of the forum:
http://www.arcane-minecraft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=391