234 Diamonds

Someone (Or perhaps it was multiple people?) donated 234 diamonds to the community donation area. Since these are community chests I thought we could have a conversation about what exactly to do with these diamonds. Feel free to make suggestions.

Personally I feel like we should distribute the diamonds to those who have helped with community projects, so that they get something back for their work.
What do you think?

Sincerely,

Would they all be distributed equally among those who have helped?

That would obviously be unfair, since everyone helped to a different degree.
I was thinking we could have a vote amongst those who have helped where everyone writes down who helped approximately how much and then we do an average out of that.

So the people who would be getting the diamonds would determine how they are distributed?

Well obviously you don’t get to determine yourself how much diamonds you yourself get.

Not sure how many people are active, but that’s enough that you could distribute 1 Pick (3 Dia) to 78 people.

It was suggested in chat that we give out the diamonds as a prize for a weekly minigame event (with changing minigames)

I don’t think the diamonds should be prizes, they were donated for community projects, right?

Instead, i suggest we use them to repair broken tools, (if your tool’s durability becomes too low to continue working on a community project)

Use the diamonds for community project tools and gears !

I don’t think the diamonds should be prizes, they were donated for community projects, right?

Instead, i suggest we use them to repair broken tools, (if your tool’s durability becomes too low to continue working on a community project)[/quote]
Personally, I would like to side with JogarCraft and DClem on how the donated items are used in. People donated the resources for projects, not prizes, after all.

Alongside using some diamonds for repairing, what we should do is use some diamonds to make some (named) pickaxes for people who want to help in community projects, and, if they did help, give them a chance to keep a pickaxe. If they didn’t help and steal the pickaxe, then, well, some consequences can be upon them depending on severity of the offense.

I like the idea of using then for tools for the community projects.

I don’t really know what kind of insane community project you think we’ll be doing where people will use 234 diamonds for pickaxes and stuff…
I mean sure, once 1.8 comes we’ll expand the nether highway, but mostly people have been (and I think will) use their own pickaxes. They might occasionally repair a pickaxe, but it’s really impractical since you have to know one with access to the chest and there’s always the chance of stealing (And let’s be honest, a chest with 234 diamonds that a lot of people have access to will be emptied rather quick by those who just wanna take an extra diamond here and an extra diamond there, making it difficult to track). Seriously, I don’t think that if this gets used honestly for repairing stuff we will use more than 10-15 or so diamonds within a month because we can’t just go and give 30 people access to that chest. Only a very limited amount of people can have control over this (or else hardly noticable stealing will take effect) and if they do, it won’t be practical to use as a means of repairing tools.

I just think that using the diamonds in such a way is an organisation obstacle that we can’t overcome. It’s just too difficult to do. I agree, it’d be nice if we could, but it’s just not doable.

Also once again these are 234 diamonds!!! There is no community project we could do that would use so much diamond. I just think it’d be a better investement in the community if we have some fun with it. (To make minigames and such)

That’s basically what we do every week.

Plus, 1.8, repairs will get worse and worse, tools will become so expensive to repair that it will become unpractical, so we’ll have to build new tools.

We basically built all of it, DClem.
And don’t forget we have a diamond tool trader.

I still think it’s best to keep it safe for community builds, than “throwing it” in prizes…

So let’s keep it, use it for community tools, and maybe sometimes donate a part to community contests, etc…

Use them for decoration blocks for community builds. ;p

Griefer bait?